Hot Figure Toys 11" Japan Anime Sexy Doll Keumaya Final Hyper Nurse Commander Erika Naked PVC Sailo

Saturday, March 2, 2013

The town where McDonald's counts as health food: Tamworth is named obesity capital of Britain

By JOANNA MOORHEAD

The air of Tamworth is heavy with the pungent stench of frying food, Joanna Moorhead said

The first thing you notice, arriving by train into Tamworth’s unedifying concrete railway station, is the smell of burgers sizzling on the open griddle of a mobile snack bar five steps outside the main entrance door. Top of the specials’ list is the ‘mad hatter’ — a burger with a fried egg on top. For another 30p, they’ll slap a slice of cheese on it for you as well.

Fast food shops abound in Tamworth, which has been hit hard by the recession

Welcome to the fat capital of Britain: one in three adults in Tamworth, Staffordshire, is now officially classed as obese and most of the children aren’t far behind.
I spent my teenage years in Tamworth: I was at boarding school nearby and my friends and I would amble along these same pavements, stopping for the occasional ice-cream or Kit-Kat. But that was more than 30 years ago, and since then the calorific content of the average Tamworth schoolgirl’s daily diet seems to have rocketed.

The people of Tamworth, seemingly, are overwhelmingly choosing a diet of high-fat, comfort food (posed by model)

Care worker Shannon O’Rourke, 19, cheerfully tells me that she puts away at least six bars of chocolate a day.
‘I just love them,’ she says. ‘And I love crisps too — and chicken with lots of crispy skin.’ She weighs 12 stone and says her doctor has told her that makes her obese.
‘I don’t feel obese,’ she shrugs. ‘Although I suppose I do eat a lot.’

This is a fat town getting fatter; and no one has the faintest idea what to do about it

Even so, Shannon still weighs less than her sister Taylor, 21, who used to tip the scales at 17 stone.
‘One day I looked at myself in the mirror and cried because I looked so fat,’ she says. ‘I’d always put my weight down to having heavy bones, but then I really piled on the pounds when I was pregnant with my daughter Teigan, who’s now two.’
Taylor cut down on food portions, upped her exercise, and is now around 14 stone.

‘I’m having another baby at the moment, so it’s not the time to lose more weight,’ she says. ‘But I don’t want to be 17 stone again.’

source: Read more at Dailymail



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms